This is my second day working in ICU (Intensive Care Unit).
I thought it'll be challenging because I will get to do and observe lots of procedures which I wont be able to do in the ward.
When I first entered ICU yesterday, I was like "OH GOD!!!"
So many tubings as in those drip thingy in patients, lots of wires around the patient, patient is also intubated (which is like a big host in the mouth to help patient to breathe).
I can feel the pain...
So much of medications/drugs entering into patients body such as Dormicum(to sedate patient), Morphine, Dobutamine, Esmeron(is a paralytic agent), etc etc...
How can I take it? Seeing them lying there motionless with those tubes and wires around them, relatives came to visit their love ones and left with tears.
I almost cry too especially for the patient is in a critical stage.
I thought I was brave, but I guess I'm wrong...

Anyway, today I was assigned to a patient which was pretty ill, she's from Indonesia, her husband would drop by everyday to accompany her, which I felt that he is such a nice husband.
At times I will initiate to help her husband to look after her because he just need some rest, but around 1:45pm, things changed.
His wife suddenly was so ill, her blood pressure kept dropping, I was so scared and kept asking her to stay strong.
And she kept telling me that she's having stomach ache and she'll stay strong!
The thing is I couldnt stay long because I finish work at 2pm, but later on I heard that she "left" around 3pm.
I do feel sad, very sad. I hope this aunty will rest in peace.
Pray that God will give me strength and wisdom to work in ICU. =D

Comments

Popular Posts